18th century  (England)

On my Google photo pages more photos of English pieces.

I call this set "Old English". However this name is also used for sets better known as "St.George". Actually, there is no common accepted naming convention for sets like these. Maybe because these sets are extremely rare.

« of 11 »
  • England, "Old English"
  • 1st half 18th century
  • Ivory K 6.9; p 3.5

The "George Washington" sets are called that way, because George Washington did own a set that is similar. Typical characteristics are urn shapes in stems/finials, small mitres on Bishops, high arched Knights with ears pointing backwards and Rooks tapered in one line and with brickwork. The 1st set is identical to the set in Liddell's book. Note that the 3rd set has atypical Rooks. Maybe that set is of a bit later date like early 19th.

The set of George Washington (picture taken from the book of M. Liddell). The Washington pattern is named after this set.
  • England, "George Washington"
  • Late 18th century
  • Ivory K 8.6; p 3.6
« of 6 »
  • England, "George Washington"
  • Late 18th century
  • Bone K 8.5; p 4.0
  • Box 16.7×11.3×7.3
« of 5 »
  • England, "George Washington"
  • Late 18th century
  • Bone K 10.7; p 4.6

These "Spiked" sets were made in the 18th century, but I'm not sure when the production stopped. Probably early 19th century. They exist in a wide variety. This set is a nice example of one of the later sets of this type.

« of 4 »
  • England, "Spiked"
  • 18th-19th century
  • Bone K 7.8; p 3.5

This "Playing" set was made in the 18th or early 19th century.
I do not know a better description. If you do, please let me know...

« of 3 »
  • England
  • 18th-19th century
  • Ivory K 8.6; p 3.8