“Ropetwist”  (England)

This set is a "Ropetwist" set, called after the decoration on the central drum of the King and Queen which simulates a twisted rope. Very often that name is, in my opinion mistakenly, used for ordinary "(plain) Barleycorn" sets with have a central drum looking like a coiled rope. On the other hand "Ropetwist" sets aren't recognized always as such. I think it is because these sets are extremely scarce. I have seen only a couple of them.

« 1 of 5 »
  • England, "Ropetwist"
  • Mid 19th century
  • Bone (or ivory?) K 9.3; p 3.4
  • Box (chinese!) 13.8×11.4×9.1